PDA

View Full Version : Hop-up items not to purchase for Rustler

snuvet75
03-31-2011, 11:42 PM
1. Integy Evolution-3 Wheelie Bar
- Check it out here: http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p_prodid=6415&p_catid=109
- It's defective in a way that it bends really easily if you wheelie your car a few times to the point that the wheel gets very close to the wheelie mount. Then it becomes very useless since it's not going to be the wheel that touches the ground but the rear end of chassis when the front end of your car lifts up trying to do wheelies. There is a way better one that seems to have been released lately. It's even cheaper than the Evolution one. Billet Machined Wheelie Bar is the one to go for. It looks similar but has the attachment that will be connected to your wheelie mount with bolts. This basically solves the bending problem but still you can not change the angle of wheelie bar as the Traxxas wheelie bar does. If I had not bought this defective wheelie, I want to buy the Traxxas wheelie. I was afraid that I would break it if I flip my car on high speed and that's why I bought this aluminum one.

2. STRC steering block
- Unlike stock part, it has longer horn and has 3 holes to choose. It appears great to have 3 choices but if you put the turnbuckle on the most lateral hole, the steering block will touch the plastic part of turnbuckle everytime your car bounces down and it will either break the turnbuckle or your car would not have any shock absorbability on front at all.

So far, I figured this much and I desperately wanted to share with somebody. I hope this helps :)

cadillac
04-01-2011, 12:42 AM
i'd recommend staying away from any integy parts. they are usually junk...

DJ Skillz
04-01-2011, 01:26 AM
I'll go ahead and add RPM caster blocks to that list. Sure it's great that they don't break, but they flex... and so do the pins that connect your bearing carriers. Of course, unlike the RPM blocks, the pins don't bend back, and they're a pain in the ass to replace.

Aluminum is the way to go as far as caster blocks are concerned.

snuvet75
04-02-2011, 09:52 AM
I'll go ahead and add RPM caster blocks to that list. Sure it's great that they don't break, but they flex... and so do the pins that connect your bearing carriers. Of course, unlike the RPM blocks, the pins don't bend back, and they're a pain in the ass to replace.

Aluminum is the way to go as far as caster blocks are concerned.
Bobby, how do you like the lights on your car? Isn't it a hassle? I looked for it and most of them needed to be connected to ESC. But I already have a fan connected to it so I don't have any additional slot which means I have to make one. And there was a set of lights that you can remote-control. So tell me "Is it worth it?"

edubRC
04-02-2011, 11:04 AM
i'd recommend staying away from any integy parts. they are usually junk...

this is true, I bought a set of integy cvd's for my Slash (should be the same as rustler), and the P'sOS didn't even fit! They were too long:dontknow: Packaging even said for Slash/Rustler. Needless to say, I returned them and got stock axles. To this day I still run stock axles on my 2wd slash:thumbsup:

snuvet75
04-07-2011, 12:39 AM
this is true, I bought a set of integy cvd's for my Slash (should be the same as rustler), and the P'sOS didn't even fit! They were too long:dontknow: Packaging even said for Slash/Rustler. Needless to say, I returned them and got stock axles. To this day I still run stock axles on my 2wd slash:thumbsup:

I should've known that!! I'll never buy Integy parts any more!

DJ Skillz
04-07-2011, 12:49 AM
Bobby, how do you like the lights on your car? Isn't it a hassle? I looked for it and most of them needed to be connected to ESC. But I already have a fan connected to it so I don't have any additional slot which means I have to make one. And there was a set of lights that you can remote-control. So tell me "Is it worth it?"

I only have the lights on one body, and I only put that body on when I run it at night so I don't destroy the lights. (already did that once... note to self: hot glue doesn't cut it.) They're just soldered up in parallel to a resistor and connected to the ESC. I used shoe goo the second time around to secure the LEDs, and they're holding strong.

You could always just make a y-connector for the ESC fan plug so you can run both the fan and lights. Just pick up a couple connectors from the hobby shop and solder them in parallel.

In my experience though, the ESC fan is pretty much useless on the rustler. The velineon motor heats up faster than the ESC does, so if you're getting thermal cutoff on your ESC, chances are you're frying the motor in the process. I suggest some strategic air holes in the body and a heatsink on the motor.

snuvet75
04-07-2011, 01:12 AM
I only have the lights on one body, and I only put that body on when I run it at night so I don't destroy the lights. (already did that once... note to self: hot glue doesn't cut it.) They're just soldered up in parallel to a resistor and connected to the ESC. I used shoe goo the second time around to secure the LEDs, and they're holding strong.

You could always just make a y-connector for the ESC fan plug so you can run both the fan and lights. Just pick up a couple connectors from the hobby shop and solder them in parallel.

In my experience though, the ESC fan is pretty much useless on the rustler. The velineon motor heats up faster than the ESC does, so if you're getting thermal cutoff on your ESC, chances are you're frying the motor in the process. I suggest some strategic air holes in the body and a heatsink on the motor.

You are so right. I already put the heatsink and heatplate on the motor and I keep getting the thermal cut off. In the near future, I think i will have to get different motor/ESC set. I'm running it on 3s lipos and can't even go through one battery unless I use 3200 mAh one. The others are 5000mAh. I even called Traxxas and they advised to lower the gear ratio which I did yesterday but it didn't help much. I'm thinking of putting some holes on the body today and changing the gear box cover from RPM back to stock box since the stock one has a hole at the bottom. That way, motor gets some cool air. I was so frustrated when I kept getting the thermal cut off even after I tried different options. They shouldn't have advertised that Velineon motor/ESC can use 3s 5000mAh battery in the first place.

Murray
04-07-2011, 08:51 AM
Any suggestions on items to purchase for the Rustler. My grandson has a new brushed Rustler and it seems a bit loose in the dirt. Wondering if the stock rear tires can be replaced for better traction. Hope you do not mind me adding this question to your thread.

medina619
04-07-2011, 09:05 AM
RPM everything integy nothing!

these tires work great.
http://prolineracing.com/all-terrain/gladiator-2-2.2-m3-soft-off-road-truck-tires/

snuvet75
04-08-2011, 01:42 AM
Any suggestions on items to purchase for the Rustler. My grandson has a new brushed Rustler and it seems a bit loose in the dirt. Wondering if the stock rear tires can be replaced for better traction. Hope you do not mind me adding this question to your thread.

Hello Murray, Of course I don't mind. I'm no expert but I put a lot of hop ups on my Rustler VXL. Dirt is low traction surface, which means the car should be loose on turns. If you drive it on high traction surfaces like grass or asphalt, you will notice the car gets flipped as you make drastic turns. You can try any off road tires with 2.2" wheel diameter with a lot of spikes. But the stock ones are pretty good too. And the front tires are not supposed to be as aggressive as rear ones for 2WD cars. Your grandson(you are a wonderful grandpa!) might not have the flipping problem if he drives slow or the motor itself is slow. At the same token, he might not have the slipage problem on dirt if he drives slow or the motor is slow.

Dirt is the major surface people drive on for off road cars and they love the low traction and sliding on curves because it gives another challenge to control the car.

But if you really want to try different tires, you could get them. You can even try to put the same ones on front but I do not recommend that. For driving on asphalt or cement, you should buy anaconda tires or Jato on road tires for all four and for sand, go for paddle tires.