PDA

View Full Version : ESC issues

sdfishman
05-30-2010, 09:35 PM
Alright I just got my Castle Creation Sidewinder ECS back. I installed it and pluged all the wires in Turned the ESC on and all three lights are flashing and the motor has a constant beep but no power. I can mover the front tires but the motor wont go into program mode. Any idea?

joMAXimum
05-30-2010, 09:36 PM
did you perform the radio calibration

sdfishman
05-30-2010, 09:38 PM
No... Explain..

did you perform the radio calibration

sdfishman
05-30-2010, 09:46 PM
Alright I just calibrated the radio to esc. Nothing. Turned the radio on. Held the the throttle full and plugged in the battery and esc. Beeped for 60 sec or so and nothing.

cadillac
05-30-2010, 09:46 PM
No... Explain..

you have to program your esc to your radio gear. whenever you change your esc, motor, tx, rx, or whatever, you need to reprogram your radio gear so it has the correct settings for the new gear.

it should be explained in the instruction manual of your esc. make sure that all the endpoints on your radio are set to zero before you start.

joMAXimum
05-30-2010, 09:49 PM
you have to program your esc to your radio gear. whenever you change your esc, motor, tx, rx, or whatever, you need to reprogram your radio gear so it has the correct settings for the new gear.

it should be explained in the instruction manual of your esc. make sure that all the endpoints on your radio are set to zero before you start.

plus one check the manual, its a series of listening to beeps and then going through throttle, to brake, to neutral.

it is effectively setting up the radio/esc connection.

sdfishman
05-30-2010, 10:20 PM
So I plug in the stock traxxas remote. Put the throttle and sterring to 0 and it sync instantly. I try to plug it into my Airtronics MX3 and nothing. I put everything on the remote to 0 and nothing. I put it all to 100% and still nothing. The airtronics remote is what I ws using before the ESC broke.

cadillac
05-31-2010, 02:10 AM
So I plug in the stock traxxas remote. Put the throttle and sterring to 0 and it sync instantly. I try to plug it into my Airtronics MX3 and nothing. I put everything on the remote to 0 and nothing. I put it all to 100% and still nothing. The airtronics remote is what I ws using before the ESC broke.

i know this might be a ridiculous question, but are you following the directions in the esc manual for programming the esc?

sdfishman
05-31-2010, 09:09 AM
Yeah to the T.. Nothing. It's either my radio isn't set right or my reciever doesn't work. I switched with 2 traxxas radios/recievers and they work fine.

mr240
05-31-2010, 09:11 AM
Try setting your throttle EPA's at 125%.

sdfishman
05-31-2010, 09:20 AM
Just did.. Nothing..

Mamba Max King
06-29-2010, 09:53 PM
Here you go:

Quick Start Guide
1. Solder a high quality battery connector to the ESC.
2. Mount the ESC and motor into the car.
3. Plug in the 3 motor wires to the 3 motor wires on the ESC.
4. Plug in the ESC Rx lead to CH2 on your receiver.
5. Make sure the ESC’s switch is off.
6. Plug in a battery.
7. Holding full throttle on your transmitter, turn the switch ON.
A. After a few seconds you’ll hear multiple tones and the red LED will come on.
B. Now hold full brake and after a few seconds you’ll hear multiple tones and the yellow LED
will come on.
C. Now relax to neutral and after a few seconds you’ll hear multiple tones and ALL the LEDs
will light up.
D. A few seconds later the ESC will arm with a double tone and you’re ready to go!

How to Calibrate the ESC
STEP 1 : Start with the transmitter ON and the ESC switched OFF and not connected to the
battery.
STEP 2 : Plug a battery into your Castle ESC.
STEP 3 : Hold full throttle on the transmitter and turn the ESC’s switch ON. Keep holding full
throttle on the transmitter. If all your connections are correct, you will hear one multi-toned
initialization “ring” from the motor (all tones are played by the ESC vibrating the motor).
STEP 4 : After a second or two, the green LED on the ESC will blink rapidly and the motor will
“ring” 4 times rapidly in a row (accepting the full throttle endpoint). After the green LED
flashes and tones, the ESC will blink the red LED. At this point the full throttle endpoint has
been set within the ESC and now it’s looking for the full brake endpoint (red LED blinking).
STEP 5 : Move the throttle trigger to the full brake position and hold full brake. After a
few seconds, the ESC will flash the red LED and ring 4 times rapidly (accepting full brake
endpoint).
STEP 6 : After accepting the full brake endpoint the ESC will then blink the yellow LED. Now
relax the trigger to the neutral position. The ESC will now ring 4 times and flash the yellow
LED rapidly to accept the neutral position.

Problem: My Castle ESC may or may not arm, but it will not calibrate to
my transmitter.
Solution: Most calibration issues can be solved by changing settings on the transmitter. Make
sure you have both your throttle and brake endpoints (called EPA or ATV on your radio) on the
throttle channel out to between 100 to 120%. Make sure if you have a Futaba or Futaba made
transmitter to have the throttle channel set to the reversed position.

Problem: My ESC calibrates for the full throttle and full brake positions
but won’t calibrate to the neutral throttle position (yellow LED keeps
flashing ).
Solution: Try moving the throttle trim one way, then the other (usually towards the throttle
side is best). If your transmitter has a 50/50 and 70/30 setting for the throttle, set it for
50/50 and retry calibration. Also, if you have changed the dead band to a narrower band you
may want to try going back to the “normal” setting.

See if any of this helps :thumbsup:

sidewinder Stampede VXL
08-19-2011, 12:15 PM
It is the low votage detection of LVD for short you can refer to the drivers ed on castle's website link below
http://www.castlecreations.com/support/documents/drivers_ed_guide.pdf

go to page 10 on the scroll bar, not the page on the book. by the way it is nice to have printed out....:) good luck...

CentralCoaster
08-19-2011, 01:41 PM
The throttle is used to sync it... so if the esc doesn't like the throttle signal it's getting, it won't even start the sync mode.

Try reversing the throttle channel and do it again with all your trims set at zero.

My airtronics and castle stuff is tricky sometimes... even if I do everything correctly it can take more than one try to sync it up.

Travis107
08-19-2011, 01:43 PM
This thread is from 2010......

sidewinder Stampede VXL
08-20-2011, 11:47 AM
call castle here is there number... 913-390-6939, press 1 then they will tell you what to do... ask where on their website (http://www.castlecreations.com/) you can get the drivers ed booklet... it is an esc programing guide. HOPE THIS HELPS, GOOD LUCK.