PDA

View Full Version : 1/8th Buggy Setups

montyjcm
07-13-2009, 09:55 AM
Hey everybody,

Since a lot of us are getting into 1/8th scale buggies, I thought it would be good to have a list of setups from everybody. Obviously, the different brands vary in gearing ratios, suspension setups, etc, but in general, most buggies follow a similiar design.

Anyways, I thought a good format would be something like this. This is my setup.

Type: Losi 8ight-e conversion
Powerplant: MMM, 2200kv
Batteries (if applicable): 4s, 28c SMC 6000mah
Gear ratio (spur/pinion): 45/15 or 45/13 (still messing around)
Differential gear ratio: 43/13
Differential Oil (Ft/C/Rr): Unknown/Unknown/Unknown (should be stock, I believe)
Top speed (estimated using BrianG's calc): 44mph or 38mph (depending on gearing)
Suspension Springs: Grey spring front and back
Shock Oil: Unknown.. light oil though
Tires/Wheels: Crimefighters/JC Concepts Ruluxs
Terrain (bash, race, etc.): Track and racing hopefully soon
Other Stuff: if i forgot anything important.. probably did

Alrighty, well, I don't know if this will be helpful at all, but it occurred to me that since we all run at most of the same spots, ideal setups are probably out there. I really have no clue as to what diff oil I should use; maybe this will help out! :nodyes:

EDIT:
Here is a link to the speed calculator. http://www.scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/_top_speed.html It's a handy tool for estimating top speed. It just takes the gear ratios, tire size, motor kv, and battery voltage to calculate. Pretty acccurate except at ridiculous speeds

Frank H
07-13-2009, 10:26 AM
Type: RC8 e- conversion
Powerplant: MMM, 2650kv no punch control, no throttle/brake curve, no drag brake, 40% brake power. 3.2v cutoff
Batteries (if applicable): 4s, 35c Elite 5000mah
Gear ratio (spur/pinion): 45/15
Differential gear ratio: ?
Differential Oil (Ft/C/Rr):5/3/5 ( am going to change to7/5/5 or 7/7/5
Top speed (estimated using BrianG's calc): ?
Suspension Springs: stock spring front and back
Shock Oil: 60/50 am going lighter soon.. 50/40 (f/r)
Tires/Wheels: used and abused bowfighter combo,
Terrain (bash, race, etc.): Track and racing hopefully soon
Other Stuff: I dont use a setup table or anything, but here goes: 3 degree rear toe in, slight toe out in front. Arms level or slightly under level (low ride height).. I use full droop as of now but would like to experiment with droop. I use a 90 degree angle to measure camber, with the square hitting the tire on bottom, the top is off about 1/8 inch. I try to make all 4 tires to run close to the same camber.

montyjcm
07-13-2009, 11:07 AM
I added a link to the speed calculator. I believe that your diff gear ratio is 43/10, frank.

joMAXimum
07-13-2009, 12:31 PM
another GREAT place to start is by looking on the manufacturers website and looking at the various setup sheets used by the team drivers. this is where many start their setups from.

from there, just tweak little by little unti it suits you.

montyjcm
07-13-2009, 02:08 PM
Very true, Joe. I looked at those, and they definitely will be helpful! But generally, they don't have many setups for electric (yet). Thanks for the tip, though!

mmosqueda
07-13-2009, 02:25 PM
Type: Factory Team RC8 e- conversion
Powerplant: MMM, 2200kv no punch control, no throttle/brake curve, no drag brake, 40% brake power. Auto cutoff
Batteries (if applicable): 3s, 20c Team Orion Carbon 3200mah also 2x 2s, 25c Team Orion 3400mah
Gear ratio (spur/pinion): 46/16
Differential Oil (Ft/C/Rr):??? Stock
Shock Oil: 50/40 (f/r)
Tires/Wheels: Holeshots M2,
Terrain (bash, race, etc.): OCRC
Other Stuff: Pulled off the front Sway bar, Got a transponder, 2.4 spektrum system, all I need now is some paint on the body.

montyjcm
07-13-2009, 02:52 PM
Type: Factory Team RC8 e- conversion
Powerplant: MMM, 2200kv no punch control, no throttle/brake curve, no drag brake, 40% brake power. Auto cutoff
Batteries (if applicable): 3s, 20c Team Orion Carbon 3200mah also 2x 2s, 25c Team Orion 3400mah
Gear ratio (spur/pinion): 46/16
Differential Oil (Ft/C/Rr):??? Stock
Shock Oil: 50/40 (f/r)
Tires/Wheels: Holeshots M2,
Terrain (bash, race, etc.): OCRC
Other Stuff: Pulled off the front Sway bar, Got a transponder, 2.4 spektrum system, all I need now is some paint on the body.

Do you race at OCRC? How is it for the 1/8th scales?

RC Driver
07-03-2013, 02:46 PM
Hey guys, its been a long time sence ive posted, and im just getting back into the sport. Ive been going to cvrc and sdrc, and im having trouble finding a correct gear ratio for my rc8.

The set up is a rc8be (first gen) with a tekin Rx8 and a Tekin 2050 kv motor. It currently has a 46t spur gear on the center diff and a 15t pinion gear. It is perfect for sdrc's indoor track but the car seems a little too slow for cvrc's larger track. Im thinking of trying a 13t or 14t pinion gear. Any help or sugesttions are greatly appreciated.

YOSHI
07-03-2013, 03:01 PM
you'll need a larger pinion gear to increase the top speed of the car. I run 17/44 in my tekno and it seems fine for both tracks. Sometimes I go down to a 16 if there isn't long straights.

RC Driver
07-03-2013, 03:34 PM
you'll need a larger pinion gear to increase the top speed of the car. I run 17/44 in my tekno and it seems fine for both tracks. Sometimes I go down to a 16 if there isn't long straights.

Thanks Yoshi for correcting me, its been a while. I will give that a try, as well as a good set of tires for outdoor, thanks again!

FangsCPO
07-04-2013, 06:32 AM

Hey Yoshi, what are your temps after a 5-7minute run at 17/44? Are you running a Tekin RX8 & T-2050v?

YOSHI
07-05-2013, 08:40 AM
I ran the 10 minute main at the R4ac with the 17/44 steel spur ... rx8 and 2050 with a 4s 4100 mah protec battery... never thermalled... I think right about 160* on motor and about 120* on esc. 17 would prob be the max . I know some guys are running 18 but thats pushing for me.