The Official So Cal R/C Forum

Go Back   The Official So Cal R/C Forum > SoCal-RC.com Goodies > R/C Product Reviews

R/C Product Reviews In-depth R/C reviews by members.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:04 PM   #1
Aaron Weigand - 39 years old

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1134

madweazl
Resident A$$

Default JConcepts Medium Racing bag

Picked up the JConcepts Medium Hauler bag today in an effort to get my nitros and electrics separated and organized. I've had the Ofna bag for about 2 years now and it's held up pretty good but it has to be getting close to 80lbs now. This (JConcepts) bag is a nice size for 1/10 buggy. The drawers are wide (12 3/4") and fairly long (22 1/2") but they're also pretty shallow at (6"). Assembly is simple and while the drawers are indeed made of plastic, they look just like corrugated cardboard that has been painted black. They do have a fairly nice plastic handle that attaches to one side of each drawer that is pretty handy. 1/10 scale buggies fit just fine with the body, wing, and tires installed and my 1/8 buggy actually fits with the body, tires, and wing on as well (suspension is compressed slightly to clear the wing but far from bottomed out). There is plenty of width for the 1/8 buggy in the drawer and room for some other items as well (few sets of extra tires, fuel bottle, etc).

I have a feeling the durability is going to be suspect as I actually tore the stitching of the "door" panel as I was sliding the inner liner into the bag (pulling it over the plastic frame). Wife re-stitched it for me without and hopefully the rest of the stitching holds up (the material didnt tear, just the stitching) much better as I didnt tug on it very hard at all (the Ofna bag has flat out been abused and this hasnt happened). I also dont care for how door flap secures when it's closed up. The sides of the container wrap around the flap (door) so you cant just reach down and pull the door up from the bottom (you have to actually remove the sides individually); not a huge deal but a zipper with a strip of velcro at the bottom would have been much easier to access in a hurry. The only other gripe I have is that there arent any wheels or handle to make transport easier.

Pros:
-Fair price
-Looks very nice
-Very wide drawers for it's size (big enough for 1/8 buggies!)
-Plastic drawers make clean up much easier than cardboard drawers
-Drawers are sturdier than what you get with the likes of the Ofna bag
-Fairly compact overall dimensions (smaller than the Ofna bag in height and length but it is wider)
-Each drawer is the same size and will hold 9 plastic organizers that are 11 3/8" x 7 3/8" x 1 9/16" (LxWxH); $2 at Harbor Freight.

Cons:
-Suspect stitching/durability
-No wheels or handle to drag it around with
-No external pockets or straps to hold peripherals w/the exception of the carry handle

A picture of the bag with an 8ight 2.0, 22, and the organizer boxes demonstrating how much space is available:

Bag as viewed from the side:

Flap that opens to remove the drawers (only on one side). Note how the velcro is closed over the flap on the right side of the image. While this secures the contents pretty well, it's a pain to access in a hurry.

Repaired stitching/seam located on the far right of the bag (top right of the flap/door)

The evolution of my addiction from 1988 to present: The Panda, Losi JrX2, Tamiya Brat, Kyosho Raider, Jr-T, Tamiya TA-02, Losi LXT, XX-T, XX, HPI Nitro RS4, RC10 GT, RS4, TC3, Colt 10 Nitro GT, TTR EB4 S3, XRay M18-T RTR, M18-T Pro, 8ight 2.0, Optima Mid SE, 8ight T 2.0, XXX-SCT, TRF201, Durango DEX410r, TLR 22, Jrx Pro, RC10, Turbo Ultima, The Panda, Hornet, Midnight Pumpkin, Kyosho Icarus, Jr-T, Jrx Pro, Ultima II, TLR 22T, AE RC8.2 FT, AE B4.1 WC.

Last edited by madweazl; 03-13-2012 at 07:18 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to madweazl For This Useful Post:
Frank H (03-13-2012), mojo (03-13-2012)
Old 03-13-2012, 07:39 PM   #2

Activity Longevity
1/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss513

shmit 1
2 fast 4 sportsman

Nice review. I won a gift certificate from jconcepts and I was thinking of using it to purchase one of those bags. I ended up getting the backpack version. because I didnt think I could get that big of a bag in the trunk of my car with all my other stuff that I take with me to the track.

Losi XXX-SCT
Losi MRC Pro
losi SCTE
AE 18R
Tamiya M-05 Pro
Tamiya TRF 417
Tamiya F104 Pro Ver II
Tamiya XV01
Mugen mbx6 eco GT8

TEAM TUCK ....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MINI MAFIA
Old 03-13-2012, 09:01 PM   #3

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1001

NofriendsTaco
SC-RC Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmit 1 View Post
Nice review. I won a gift certificate from jconcepts and I was thinking of using it to purchase one of those bags. I ended up getting the backpack version. because I didnt think I could get that big of a bag in the trunk of my car with all my other stuff that I take with me to the track.
How do you like the backpack? You should do a backpack review if you have the time

Old 03-14-2012, 09:10 AM   #4

Thanked 2,108 Times in 1,108 Posts

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss4262

tuck nasty
Team Tuck Nasty Racing

Talking

i've just picked up the JConcepts Medium Racing bagfor nitro buggy racing its a great beg only thing i dont like is no wheels other than that it work fine for two buggys and my stuff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SPONSORED BY...

MONSTER ENERGY DRINKS

TRACKSTAR R C SERVICES
EKD KUSTOM PAINTS
SO-CAL RC .COM
FATTY GRAFX PAINT

www.TOPNOTCHSERIES.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tuck nasty For This Useful Post:
AJSanDiego (03-15-2012), truckdrivinsob (03-14-2012)
Old 03-14-2012, 09:22 AM   #5

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1157
Send a message via Yahoo to Socal.1904

Socal.1904
SCRC Staff

Nice write up! THANKS!

Next up.... FT B4.1 Worlds

Severin Mobile Auto Repair Team (S.M.A.R.T.) Tell em Frank sent ya!
619-334-5620
2225 Fletcher Parkway
El Cajon, Ca 92020

Old 03-14-2012, 09:25 AM   #6

Activity Longevity
1/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss508

Jim Hughes
SC-RC Site Supporter

i have 2 mediums and 2 smalls i love em.that being said i had a problem with the stitching in the same place you did and they replaced the bag without any hassle at all

Old 03-14-2012, 09:31 AM   #7

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1134

madweazl
Resident A$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hughes View Post
i have 2 mediums and 2 smalls i love em.that being said i had a problem with the stitching in the same place you did and they replaced the bag without any hassle at all
That's good to hear. How has the replacement been holding up? Did you damage it the same way I did or was it from something else? If my wife's handywork doesnt come apart, I'll just live with it since I'm the one that caused the damage in the first place.

The evolution of my addiction from 1988 to present: The Panda, Losi JrX2, Tamiya Brat, Kyosho Raider, Jr-T, Tamiya TA-02, Losi LXT, XX-T, XX, HPI Nitro RS4, RC10 GT, RS4, TC3, Colt 10 Nitro GT, TTR EB4 S3, XRay M18-T RTR, M18-T Pro, 8ight 2.0, Optima Mid SE, 8ight T 2.0, XXX-SCT, TRF201, Durango DEX410r, TLR 22, Jrx Pro, RC10, Turbo Ultima, The Panda, Hornet, Midnight Pumpkin, Kyosho Icarus, Jr-T, Jrx Pro, Ultima II, TLR 22T, AE RC8.2 FT, AE B4.1 WC.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:21 PM   #8

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1134

madweazl
Resident A$$

So I started thinking about the plastic organizers and was wondering if I could find something a bit easier to dig through. I ended up grabbing the boxes I bought yesterday and returned to Harbor Freight to browse the selection. I didnt really find anything better until I looked up and saw these little toolboxes:

Inside were four plastic organizers that measured 10 1/8" x 6"! Perfect height for the JConcepts drawers and the width was a good match too. I ended up grabbing five of the toolboxes; at $12.99, the organizers worked out to $3.25 a piece which was still very reasonable. All said and done, 15 of the boxes fit in one JConcepts drawer like a glove, leaving just enough room to pull an organizer out with no resistance but tight enough that they dont flop around. I have 5 organizers left over that I can use in a different drawer and should have plenty of organizers to separate everything like I wanted to originally.

I also picked up a Ptouch label maker so I can find stuff at a quick glance. I'll probably run different colored tape to differentiate between truggy and buggy.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:06 PM   #9

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3932

CentralCoaster
Team Froggy Style

Thanks for the review. I'm looking at options to replace my rubbermaid bin with and haven't really been impressed with anything I've seen. It seems like it'd be a bitch to drag that bulky thing around loaded up without wheels, especially when I usually get there last and park in the back of the lot. Maybe you could steel the wheels and handle frame off an old rolling luggage bag.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   The Official So Cal R/C Forum > SoCal-RC.com Goodies > R/C Product Reviews